MUMBAI RAP HAS A FUTURE

mumbai

Sitting with a friend in a club on Saturday night, we started discussing the nightlife of the city. My friend is a journalist with a respected publication, and he specifically covers culture and entertainment. He is closely associated with event organizers  therefore he has a good understanding of the city’s night life. As we exchanged ideas and opinions, we concluded that Bollywood is indeed still the biggest meal ticket in the city. But what comes next on the list surprisingly is hip hop. It is even a bigger market that electronica, is that wishful thinking? Well, my friend says that is what his event management acquaintances say, and I’d say why not? So many college festivals, and what do those kids strap? New era caps to the side, often baggy pants and some urban label T or one with the face of some rapper or the other. Rap battles are often featured in college events, and hip hop makes a decent part of the music that the DJ has to rock at Malhar, Umang, Kaleidoscope etc. So if that is the case, then why is it only two or three people who seem to be making that major loot while the rest of the artists are reduced to doing hip hop just for the love? Is it possible for an emcee to quit his job and just concentrate on performing to pay his bills and eat?

In my opinion, emcees are not yet able to buy beamers from performance proceeds, but they are in a position to start making some decent dough rhyming. What many cats lack, is a professional approach to the business. We been doing recordings in the bedroom for a long time now, and matter of fact, you know that’s a joke. You ain’t going nowhere with that stuff besides just bragging to your friends who are also ready to listen to it only because they don’t have to pay for it.

So let’s talk about professionalizing the approach. Do I expect emcees to fork out thousands to spend on studio time for a track that might not earn them anything more than a few nods from pals? Well, if it’s professionally done, it shouldn’t get only the attention of friends. Besides, if you take a walk down Adarsh Nagar, you’ll discover there are many studios out there ready to record for next to peanuts. So if you can’t get a friend with a home studio, check the place out. It’s also important that an artist makes the effort to understand how the recording process goes, get a musician to help you lay down the instrumentals correctly. Learning editing software will be a great advantage too. And after recording in the studio, be sure that whoever does the mastering does it well because it’s the most important part of the track production. Thousands of people can record you, but very few can master the recordings well. Look for a decent sound engineer who can do it at a reasonable cost and you’re done.

Now the marketing begins. As a DJ, I know if someone played a track for me and I thought it was ill, I wouldn’t mind rocking the crowd with it. But to do that, the emcee must be cool with the DJ, it is business, so put down your ego and holla at the DJ every once in a while, the DJ has to send shout outs to fans on a regular, the emcee too must have some PR to do. If you get a DJ who is feeling you, make appearances at his gigs and initially hit the stage for free. The key is being able to prove that you can move the crowd. The appreciation might not be much initially, but soon as you build a credibility that can be recognized, someone will tell you -ok, come rock my joint for Rs. 2k. Yeah, those is peanuts, but check it, after three shows, you will most likely have recovered what you spent recording the track, and your charge might have already gone higher. You will also have convinced the Mumbai crowd that their rappers are worth checking out.  And from then on, the sky is the limit, you will go as far as you work, get back in the studio regularly, keep writing stuff the crowd can relate to, never miss an opportunity to shine etc.

Other little things can make a big difference in the game too, for example, marketing your track before it comes out. I’ve been seeing Arsallan Talat Jani creating a buzz about his track on FB even before it has been released. That’s a good thing, Mumbai emcees should follow that route, but you will need to holla at much more than just your friends list. No doubt a long list of FB buddies helps, but the more methods you use to market yourself, the better.

Also get a decent graphic artist to Photoshop you well. Avoid going too much on the bling and glamour, we are a small crowd so we know you better than that. And hand out your CD to whoever is willing to listen, let’s have your track on Bombayhiphop.com, you’ll have over 100 people exposed to it in no time, and think of any innovative ways that can push you forward.

But one thing I’ll  advice you is don’t take shortcuts by beefing to create buzz. This is Mumbai, and gangsters are not exactly celebrity here. It’s different in the US, Al Capone and Bugsy Siegel are the stuff of legends. But tell me which gangster here has women swooning all around him and college kids trying to be like him? Get real.

A major obstacle that artists will also have to deal with is the fact that we don’t have any hip hop specific management team or event organizer in town. But that’s not a major threat to the business, soon as they see the money, they will pop up.

And remember, even for the biggest musicians in bollywood, there is no money in selling CDs, money is only in the performances and the endorsements that follow. So now you have a basic blueprint to follow, we’ve taken over the city lyrically, now let’s take it over for real.

Comments (61)

1. buy tea says:

take? out the chessyness you would hve a dman good article

2. sachin says:

hey i want to learn rap. i have a great passion for it

3. Zenim says:

where is the rap battle events going on

4. Aditya says:

Hey m interested in rap pls reply me back on my no. 7878807079

5. vidyesh says:

hey anyone interested to rap can contact me @ 9820500812

6. ASHISH says:

i’m a rapper & wanna show my talent, plz help me is there any way or some rappers groups in mumbai

7. tushar says:

hey anyone want good shit of words can contact me @08898173003 …..lets do it guys…..

8. Aman sharma says:

I wanna be a rapper is there any rap group here in mumbai?

9. collin dsouza says:

hey can anyone link me up to a battle

10. Shifa says:

Heyy m looking for a rapper who would rap in hindi for a campaign i am doing if interested contact me on facebook.. ‘Shifa Bhati’ jus inbox ur details.

11. Psyntist069 says:

Hello sir,
    and Everybody, i’m a rapper, imma take hip-hop to the next level.. I’m moving to Mumbai soon, any rapper/musician interested in darkness, please get in touch….
    Message me on my fb page@ psyntist069 Here is a track i recorded, and as it is said by sir in the post, it lacks masterin..

12. raj_d says:

Hey guys,”
    this is raj_d from delhi , recently shiftd here….i m rapper from delhi based band moksha…!!
    i m intrstd in covering rap vocals of eminem, mike shinoda and few of jay-z….!! now i days i m working on OC(s)
    i m intrstd in joining rapper’s group , rap-rock band and duets for featuring purposes…!
    plz inbox me asasp 8097961296
    FB link –> http://www.facebook.com/singh.rajd

13. hi its me ishaqzaada love guru. I had made my own song. But i need more rappers to jaoin wid me. If u come wid me. Then m sure we will rock in mumbai. Contact me on fb https://IshaqzaadaLoveGuru786

14. hi its me ishaqzaada love guru. I had made
    my own song. But i need more rappers to
    jaoin wid me. If u come wid me. Then m
    sure we will rock in mumbai. Contact me on
    fb http://IshaqzaadaLoveGuru786

15. hi its me ishaqzaada love guru. I had made
    my own song. But i need more rappers to
    jaoin wid me. If u come wid me. Then m
    sure we will rock in mumbai. Contact me on
    fb http://www.facebook.com/IshaqzaadaLoveGuru786

16. Sanil says:

Hey fellas, i need to know when’s the battle

17. Ace says:

i would like 2 participate if there is a battle

18. AArendy says:

Hey guys,”
    this is AArendy , a free style rapper from delhi , recently shifted here in mumbai
    now i days i m working on own verses.
    intrstd in joining rap group , rap-rock band and duets for featuring purposes…!
    plz inbox me asap 8097961296
    FB — > http://www.facebook.com/rajd.singh.12

19. kenny filan says:

em a 17 year guy rapping from 5years an have recorded ma track ‘it ends to her’on you tube..em from dehradun

20. Chandan kumar 'Priyadarshi' says:

I am student of I.sc. and also learning dance at Rock n roll patna,bihar

21. Pranav Dilip Shinde says:

Hello sir/mam I am a student of class 10th and a great fan of Honey Singh Sir and want to be like him I haven’t made my own song of mine but like Rapping please help me.
    I want to be a great rapper like Honey Singh Sir.

You can contact me on my number-7757999143

22. Paddy B says:

All the youngsters are wannabe these days. Fakers like Honey Singh who don’t know shit about rap. I have grown listening to gangsta rappers like 2pac, snoop , dre, eazy e who were way ahead then in the 90′s. Wish i could get a label listen to my tracks that I have written. OG rap is only pure rap then that funny rapper.

23. mukesh selvam says:

i m from DHARAVI
    i m a rapper and i wanna a help in music

24. i want a musician help

25. Sumit says:

Brothers, i am also an aspiring rapper from delhi
    anybody who wanna join me, welcome
    can contact me on facebook
    username-sidjay749
    can call me- 8287592196

i am sure we’ll rock the world

26. Vick-e says:

Hlooooo am vick-e aka name is vikram
    from Ludhiana
    I am rapper nd rap lyricist have lots of rap
    and I am small screen actor
    I want to do a rap in ur song
    I sware my rap nd beats can make perfect ur song. its my responsibility ????????????????

27. Vick-e says:

Hlooooo am vick-e aka name is vikram
    from Ludhiana
    I am rapper nd rap lyricist have lots of rap
    and I am small screen actor
    I want to do a rap in ur song
    I sware my rap nd beats can make perfect ur song. its my responsibility
    contact no. 08591871218

28. Hey everybody I’m sukhjinder Singh (THErapist) pure punjabi rapper n big fan of BOHEMIA sir n if any body group want a man doing punjabi rap I’m there k thanku

29. N respect to all gangster rapper specially 2PAC

30. archies says:

Guys ny1 intrstd in rappers debate 4 an intercollegiate fest cn cntct me on dis email – id 7aa9rr5ssmy143@gmail.com
    Plz cntct b4 12th of jan as da fest is gonna held on 13th jan 2015. Ny professional rapper is also wc 4 judging da event …
    Da theme is green itians carnival..

31. Cad Bury says:

Hey!

I'm Shubham shah (Cad Bury)

Realy intrested in rap please hook me up!!

contact me – +919529468180

mail – shahshubham49@gmail.com

32. sumeet says:

ANY BODY INTRESTED TO JOIN ME THEN YOU CAN DO SO….WE WILL BE DOING LIVE CONCERTS I HAD WRITTEN MY OWN SONG AND RAP….WHITE DRESS PLEASE CONTACT ME ON MY EMAIL YOU CAN ALSO CONTACT ON MY CELL-8692877030 I M FROM MUMBAI GHATKOPAR….

33. hey dude i m raj jamwal age 21 says:

Hey i m fan of badmash sir,bohemia sirand raftaar…i want to make a rap but i get confused in making a rap so can any one help me please contact me on 9004257307….please

34. Shaggy michael says:

Ey guyz m a rapper if you guys like to make a group then contact me 7045141402 ill be waitin for you

35. Shivam Nayak says:

Im from kalyan, im a rapper…a freestyler…gonna release songs soon..finding a group of rappers..if nyone intrested in takin me in..lemme know..email me:stan.shivam@gmail.com

36. Awin says:

Been listening to rap music five years but selective. Writing verses in my room. Getting ideas in my head delivered to the books. In my past time. If anyone wants to me as a verse writter in rap I’m in. U can msg me on http://www.facebook.com/rapstar.ashwin. Till then peace.

37. Ketki says:

Guys anyone interested in rap war intercollegiate competition contact mi on email id ketkiz1997@gmail. Fest is on 23 Dec so pls contact before that …

38. Ketki says:

Ketkiz1997@gmail. Com is my email id

39. Sasha says:

Hi guyz i m also from mumbai & i intrest in hardcore rap i will contact u all , i hope we will rock world

40. sumeet says:

hey i m making my own song if u r interested u can join me..we will really rock the world plz contact me on 8692877030

41. hussain shaikh says:

Hiii …!!!
    I am in 10 std
    And after my 10 i wanna become a rapper but not like honey singh ..
    Bcoz i think of my society….area…locality…and country…
    Can anybody will admit me in their group…..

I m from andheri…west
    My number
    8652436648

42. shabby says:

dis is shabby here

i am having lyrics n beatz n studio for recording also any ones wants to join can contct 7718047750 m frnd wid dopadelicz can search on google

43. anxee says:

ive many more songs written but ive not getting any support.. yes ive launch my melody rap on youtube and im intrested in it so please give me a feedback please.

44. anxee says:

its my whatsapp number +91-8108053080 u can whatsapp me!!!

45. hey guys i wanna be the great rapper … but i dont have any facilities to record my songs and vedios.. if any one wanna hook me up ..plzzzzzz .. contact me on my whatsapp no. 8652436648
    .i hope that someone will help me … .
    Hiii …!!!
    I am in 10 std
    And after my 10 i wanna become a rapper but not like honey singh ..
    Bcoz i think of my society….area…locality…and country…
    Can anybody will admit me in their group…..

I m from andheri…west
    My number
    8652436648

46. karti says:

Kartik naam ha, kuch khash Nahi
    Rap ka fan hu , ko shak Nahi
    Tez talwar hu , rap ka war hu
    Bolti band Karu ,aisa hatyaaar hu

Admi apne naam se nahi apne kam se Jana jata ha

No. 7567377663. pkartik48@gmail.com.

I am open to all

47. sunnyshady says:

Fuck every1 Cuz i’am on People Help Us we are great thinkers So all the rapper Lets rap About The facts-8879288393 Yo try me or give me a try

48. Richard says:

hiii peeps this is Richard, I'm from Kolkata itz juz couple a months I got here in Bombay , imma rapper an don't know whum to hook up myself to spit, aiyyo I shout out to ua help guys hook me up check my flow…m fresh baby I got some rap fo ya'all. M down for everythin cypher, gettin tracks recorded and shit and we rock this Bombay wid some crazy ass rap. Hope to get a reply soon. Peace an love baby..!!!!

Here's my contact - 8334086773

49. jaikishan says:

His Ko bhi karna hai Rap

To dekho map
    Aur aao mere pass
    Sab kuch kaahs hai
    Bas yahi meri baat hai

50. jaikishan says:

Sorry bhai log galat type ho Gaya tha jis Ko likha hai